For additional information on how we handle your data, see www.LRS.com/privacy
Diversified Yacht Services, Inc. needs a Fiberglass Assistant to join our team to troubleshoot and repair vessels of various sizes for our customers at the newest, most advanced, state-of-the-art Marine Service facility in todays boating world.
The Fiberglass Assistant will aid the Paint and Fiberglass Restoration Specialist to execute fiberglass repairs and fabrication, and paint and gelcoat restoration and preservation. Vessel detailing will also fall under this classification as needed.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Work with the Paint and Fiberglass Restoration Specialist to evaluate condition of yacht finishes, and assist in compiling estimates for work needed including fiberglass, gelcoat and Awlgrip paint work, along with coordinating the work with appropriate management and field staff, and overseeing the work done by other field employees in this area
- Execute approved work as a hands-on technician
- Wash and prepare vessels in preparation for top-coat treatment and apply compounds and waxes appropriate for each substrate
- Buff, wax, and final wash-down after the job is complete, and pre-delivery prep
- Fiberglass fabrication and repair both structural as well as cosmetic
- Awlgrip paint work on full yacht paint projects and blends and repairs.
- Assist with detailing as needed
- Work with Paint and Fiberglass Restoration Specialist and the Parts Manager in identifying needed supplies.
- Maintain and turn in appropriate paperwork with regard to time and materials used on each job
Ability to follow directions in a professional manner and have a team player attitude is necessary, along with effective verbal communication skills to work effectively with fellow employees, parts department, management, and occasionally communicating with the customer. Effective written communication skills are also needed to report results of investigations, discoveries, and to make recommendations to successfully complete repairs.
Education, Experience, Licensing
- 1-3 years of field experience in fiberglass repair and fabrication.
- 1-3 years of field experience in paint restoration and application.
- You must have permanent authorization to work in the USA for any employer. No visa sponsorships are available.
- Valid Florida Drivers License with a clean driving record. An unsatisfactory driving record would contain infraction worse than minor traffic violations.
- Experience in using volatile organic compounds and other toxic chemicals including, but not limited to acetone, styrene, epoxy resin, polyester resin, vinylester resin and gelcoats, MEK peroxide, paint thinners, and other specialty topside paint products and additives will make you a stronger candidate
- Experience in applying finishes using manual and pneumatic (spray) applications will make you a stronger candidate
- Experience with using both Awlgrip & Awlgrip 2000 will make you a stronger candidate
- Experience in the application of various compounds & waxes using manual or mechanical processes will make you a stronger candidate
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Ability to recognize different exterior coatings and how to treat and service each one
- Ability to recognize and know when to ask for assistance
- Ability to protect work area, as well as be aware of how on-going work affects vessels and structures in the immediate vicinity of the work being executed
- Ability to operate gasoline and electrical compressors, and be familiar with their maintenance needs
- Ability to bend, squat, stoop, crawl, and kneel
- Perform prolonged standing
- Ability to turn head from side to side and about the vertical axis
- Ability to turn body at the waist from side to side and about the vertical axis
- Lift/push/pull a battery weighing 59 pounds without assistance on a regular basis
- Ability to lift a minimum of 25 lbs. on a regular basis to move buckets of water, ladders, supplies, and maneuver electric polisher. Must also be able to lift and maneuver up to 50 lbs. on an occasional basis to move items on vessel such as furniture.
- Must have the ability to climb in a safe manner (climbing as a minimum includes stairs, scaffolding, ladders, and ramps) to access vessels and vessel equipment.
- Ability to work at heights above 12 feet, while working from a ladder, scaffolding and/or lifts to access vessels and vessel equipment.
- Demonstrate the ability to use required tools and equipment safely and appropriately.
- Demonstrate good balance while working on uneven surfaces and maneuvering obstacles.
- Possess sufficient handgrip and coordination to carry and operate tools and equipment.
- Ability to utilize personal protective equipment (closed toe shoes, safety glasses, ear plugs, goggles, respirator, safety harness, safety lines, floatation gear, etc.) safely per OSHA standards.
- Ability to withstand cold and hot temperatures.
- Ability to work in inclement weather conditions including heat, humidity, and sun
- Able to work in an environment where you are occasionally exposed to fumes and/or airborne particles, toxic or caustic chemicals.
- Ability to enter small spaces, openings, and work in confined spaces for prolonged periods of time.
- Able to respond to verbal and audible sounds/commands.
- Able to utilize adequate visual skills.
- Able to work with in an environment where the noise level is usually loud.
- Ability to fully extend the arm or arms while reaching overhead, reaching out, reaching to the side, and reaching down with tools and/or equipment.
- Ability to perceive attributes of an object/materials such as size, shape, temperature, and texture.
- Observe all safety signs, notices and understand safety procedures, and attend safety meetings.
- Close-Toe shoes are required in the entire service facility when walking outside the administration offices, as well as safety glasses and PPE.
The above information on this description has been designed to indicate the general nature and level of work performed by employees within this classification. It is not designed to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities and qualifications required of employees assigned to this classification. Diversified Yacht Services, Inc. is an Equal Opportunity Employer.